Orkney Islands Council

The welfare reforms being introduced by the government may result in reductions in the amount of benefits that you received and a reduction in your household income.  You should carefully consider the options that you have.

• You can increase your hours of work to make up the shortfall in your income or if you are not in employment you could take a job to help increase your income;

• You may have to consider if you can move to a smaller property;

• If your Housing Benefit payments are reduced you could apply to Orkney Islands Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment – short-term financial help to make up the shortfall in your rent if you are experiencing financial difficulties.

• If you pay rent and your benefits are reduced you need to make up the shortfall in your rent. If you don’t make up the shortfall you will fall into rent arrears and you may be at risk of losing your home.
Where can you get support or advice?

Seeking Local Advice

Local advice on the welfare reforms and the impact that it might have can also be obtained from the following local sources.

• Orkney Islands Council, Council Offices, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY. Telephone 01856 873535; email the benefits team or housing services.
• Orkney Housing Association Limited, 39A Victoria Street, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1DN. Telephone 01856 875253 email Orkney Housing Association Limited.
• Orkney Citizens Advices Bureau, Anchor Buildings, Bridge Street, Kirkwall, KW15 1HR. Telephone 01856 875266
• Jobcentre Plus – Tankerness Lane, Kirkwall, KW15 1AJ, Tel 0845 600 1506